This recipe was inspired by Australian Summers. Generally in summer we feel as if we don't want to eat something heavy or too sweet...or for that matter, hot - let's face it, heat is the last thing you need on 48*C days!
On top of a maple syrup sponge, I have added refrigerated (yes, that means cold people!) seasonal fruits (although, I did come up with this recipe in early Spring, so I have used seasonal Spring fruits) and drizzled the sponge and fruit with passion fruit pulp to cut through the sweetness.
: : Seasonal SUMMER Fruits in Australia : :
Because I haven't given a good indication in my pictures of seasonal summer fruits, here is a list of ingredients you can put in your fruit salad : :
♥ kiwi fruit
♥ passion fruit
◙ ◘ ◙
IMPORTANT: Serves 8
♥ Preheat oven to 180*C
♥ Grease 8 pie tins (small) or 1 muffin tray (12)
◘ ◙ ◘
: : Ingredients : :
1 x cup maple syrup
1.5 x cup milk
2 x cup self-raising flour
2 x eggs
3/4 x cup butter (approx.)
1 x tbsp vanilla essence
1 x large tin of passion fruit pulp (or the pulp 12 fresh passion fruits)
◘ ◙ ◘
: : Method : :
1. Combine the maple syrup, butter, vanilla essence and eggs
2. Add 1/2 cup of self-raising flour at a time (until 1 cup has been combined), stirring in 1/2 cup of milk (until 1 cup has been combined) whilst doing so
3. Repeat step number 2 so that a smooth consistency is achieved.
4. Pour mixture into pie tins 3/4 full to allow space of rising.
5. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the 'knife comes out clean'
6. Leave to cool before topping with seasonal fruit salad. Then drizzle the passion fruit pulp on top.
◙ ◘ ◙
Ingredients substituted in this recipe : : SUGAR
◘ ◙ ◘
Recipe by Rebekka Lord-Johnson. Photos by Rebekka Lord-Johnson.
◙ ◘ ◙ ◘ ◙